Books I've read

Sandra's book montage

The Catcher in the Rye
The Great Gatsby
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Romeo and Juliet
Lord of the Flies
Little Women
A Tale of Two Cities
Frankenstein
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Lovely Bones
The Secret Life of Bees
Under the Tuscan Sun
The Da Vinci Code
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Hobbit
The Golden Compass
Pride and Prejudice
The Time Traveler's Wife
Jane Eyre
The Notebook


Sandra's favorite books »
}

Saturday 23 July 2011

Books update

I've started my reading for Kings (hopefully not jinxing anything) so not reading as many novels as I would like but I do have a quick update to share with you:

This is my third Kristin Gore book and I very much enjoyed it.

Unlike Sammy's Hill and Sammy's House there isn't so much humour in this book but Gore still creates characters that it's easy to like. Although the story takes place in the present day in a small town in Mississippi the story is based on two murders in 1966 which remain unsolved.

Jiminy Davis needs a break from her life in Chicago and on a whim decideds to visit her grandmother in Fayeville. There she meets Bo Waters, the nephew of her grandmother's housekeeper, Lyn and they have to decide whether to try and pursue a relationship in a disapproving town. In addition Jiminy learns that Lyn's husband and daughter's murders have never been investigated. Jiminy contacts a lawyer known for success in solving 'cold' civil-rights cases and starts to investigate.

The novel explores race relations in Fayeville in both the 1960s and the present day and the message isn't all reassuring. Possibly the ending is a little contrived but the story is well written and engrossing and so I will forgive Gore for tying up all the endings so neatly.

I look forward to her next novel, just hoping it is a little longer.


I've got a few more that I will share as the week goes on.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment